The Hammond Career Symposium is an opportunity for Juniors and Seniors to hear from representatives in various professions and learn about their journeys to success. Professionals (many of whom are alumni) served on five, moderated information panels representing different career fields, while providing our Juniors and Seniors insight. The goal is to promote thoughtful conversation as they embark on college and career paths.
The professionals who shared their time and talent with us, many of whom are alums and/or parents of Hammond students, included:
Moderator: Bo Hart ’07 is the Associate Director of Alumni Engagement at University of South Carolina, Darla Moore School of Business. After graduating as Student Body President from Hammond in 2007, Bo earned his degree from Virginia Tech in 2011 where he was also Student Body President. With a B.A in Communication, Bo received his Master’s Degree in Higher Education Business Administration from the University of South Carolina in 2015.
1. Alice Adams ’87: Mrs. Adams is an alumna of Hammond and Skyhawk parent to Sarah ’17, Rebekah ’19, and Anna Katherine ’24. She graduated from Clemson University in 1991 with a B.A in Secondary Education English. Mrs. Adams then attended University of South Carolina School of Law and earned her J.D. in 1994. She is the Director of Advancement at Prime Power Services, Inc.
2. Tyler Bailey ’07: Mr. Bailey is a 2007 Hammond graduate and member of the Alumni Council. Mr. Bailey obtained his B.S. in Business Management from Hampton University in 2011. He then attended Southern University Law School and earned his J.D. in 2014. Mr. Bailey is an Attorney at Bailey Law Firm, L.L.C in Columbia, SC, which is a statewide practice that handles cases in every SC county.
3. Beth Bernstein: Mrs. Bernstein is a current Hammond parent to Caroline ’22 and Isabel ’26. She earned her BA in Psychology from the University of Georgia in 1991 and shortly after graduated from the University of South Carolina School of Law where she received her J.D. in 1994. Mrs. Bernstein is an Attorney and Partner at Bernstein and Bernstein, Attorneys at Law. She is also a member of the SC House of Representatives.
4. Wendy Homeyer: Mrs. Homeyer is a current Hammond parent to Sophie ’24 and Mallie ’31. She received her undergraduate degree in Business Administration in 1995 from the University of South Carolina (USC) and then proceeded to earn her Master’s in Business Administration from USC in 1999. She is the External Affairs Consultant- Principal at Homeyer Strategy Group LLC.
5. Sara Parrish ’99: Mrs. Parrish is 1999 Hammond graduate. She attended the University of South Carolina and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in English with a minor in Political Science in 2003. Her J.D was earned in 2008 from USC School of Law. Mrs. Parrish is Counsel to the Clerk of the South Carolina Senate.
6. Judge Susan Porter: Judge Porter is married to Hammond alumnus, Stephen, and is a current parent to Anne Perry ’26 and Sam ’24. She graduated from Presbyterian College with a BA in History and minor in Political Science and Mathematics in 1997. Judge Porter then enrolled in the University of South Carolina’s School of Law and graduated with her J.D. in 2000. She is an Attorney at Murphy & Grantland, PA and Municipal Judge for City of Columbia.
7. Judge Jay Richardson: Judge Richardson is a current Hammond parent to Perry ’27, Tayloe ’29, and Landry ’31. Judge Richardson received his undergraduate degree in Biology from Vanderbilt University in 1999 and his J.D. from the University of Chicago Law School in 2003. He is the United States Circuit Judge for the Fourth Circuit at J. Bratton Davis Federal Courthouse.
Moderator: Justin Daniel '09 is the Wine Director for Green's Beverage Stores of Georgia and South Carolina. Justin graduated Cum Laude from The University of Georgia in 2013 and began his business career with Skyland Distributing Company in Asheville, North Carolina. Following 4 years of beverage sales and distribution, Justin moved to California to work for the E&J Gallo Winery. Justin returned to Columbia in 2019 to run the wine division of Green's Beverage Stores, a seven-store retail chain that is headquartered in Columbia.
1. Emily Garrett: Mrs. Garrett is a Skyhawk parent to Nick ’15 and Leyton ‘29. She graduated from the College of Charleston in 1996. Mrs. Garrett is the Owner of M Boutique in Columbia, SC, which carries women’s clothing and accessories.
2. William Haselden: Mr. Haselden attended Hammond in Lower School and is married to alumna, Lane Haselden. Their daughter, Sarah ‘22 is a rising senior Skyhawk. Mr. Haselden received his BA from The University of the South at Sewanee in 1995. He also attended St. John’s College in Oxford, England, and received his MBA from The University of South Carolina in 1997. He is the Senior Relationship Manager at Anchor Investment Management.
3. Austin Hood ’08: Mr. Hood graduated from Hammond as a 13-year senior in 2008 and is married to alumna, Nicki Hood ‘08. He graduated from the Citadel and majored in Political Science and National Defense Policy in 2012. Mr. Hood then received his J.D. from USC School of Law in 2016. He is a Project Manager, General Contractor at Hood Construction. You may recognize Mr. Hood as Hammond’s Head Wrestling Coach, too!
4. Daisy Miller ‘88: Mrs. Miller is a Hammond alumna from the graduating class of 1988 and Skyhawk parent to Edwin ’24 and Madge ‘26. She double majored in French and Graphic Design at Converse College in 1992. She also attended the Institute of American Universities, Aix-en-Provence, France in 1991. Mrs. Miller is the President and Owner of Forest Lake Travel.
5. Matt Mundy ’03: Mr. Mundy graduated from Hammond in 2003 and is a parent to Holmes ‘33. He graduated Cum Laude from Clemson University with a B.S. in Construction Science and Management and a minor in Business in 2008. Mr. Mundy is involved with Real Estate Development, Management, and Investment at Estates & Companies.
6. Thomas Rhodes III: Mr. Rhodes is a Hammond parent to Lee ’30 and Virginia ‘33. He graduated from Clemson with a degree in Management with an Emphasis in Entrepreneurship. Mr. Rhodes is the President of Rhodes Graduation Services Inc. and the co-founder of Rhodes Branding. He is also a top ten finalist for Columbia Metropolitan Magazine's 2020 Capital Young Professional Awards.
7. Lauren Truslow: Mrs. Truslow is a current Hammond parent to Peyton ’31, Emma ’34, Harper ’34, and Gunner ‘35. She attended the University of South Carolina Business School where she majored in Marketing and Management and minored in Public Relations and Advertising. Mrs. Truslow is the owner of Barre3 and the Nail Barre. Fun Fact: Mr. Angel was her Dean at Baylor School.
Moderator: Emily Brady Bedenbaugh '01 is a 13- year Skyhawk and Hammond parent to Eloise '33. A Duke graduate, she received her B.A. in political science and a certificate in journalism policy and media studies from the DeWitt Wallace Center at the Terry Sanford School of Public Policy. Her professional background is in communications, public relations and reputation management having worked as Public Affairs Manager at influential communications firm, Chernoff Newman, and as Senior Public Affairs Specialist and Spokesperson for SCANA, now Dominion. She is now focused on her passion of community service as immediate past chair of the Salvation Army of the Midlands and actively working with the Junior League of Columbia as Diversity, Equity and Inclusion vice-chair.
1. Jeff Armstrong: Mr. Armstrong worked closely with Dr. Michael Turner’s wife, Olivia at Family Promise. He received his B.A. in Social Studies from Ashford University in 2010 and furthered his education at Walden University, graduating with a Master of Public Administration in Nonprofit Management and Leadership in 2017. Mr. Armstrong is the Executive Director at Family Promise of the Midlands.
2. Reba Campbell ’79: Mrs. Campbell is a 1979 Hammond alumna and active member of the Alumni Council. She graduated from the University of South Carolina in 1983. After 35+ years in PR journalism, politics, fundraising, management and government, she retired from full-time work at the Municipal Association of SC in 2019. Mrs. Campbell now manages a number of PR clients, writes for several state and national magazines, and teaches PR and advertising classes at USC and Newberry College.
3. Katie Hood ’10: Miss Hood is a 2010 alumna and member of the Hammond Alumni Council. Katie graduated from New York University in 2014. She works at Forward PMX as the Director of Social Media and Content Marketing.
4. Simms Oliphant ’09: Miss Oliphant is a 2009 Hammond alumna, member of the Alumni Council, and former Music Theory Upper School teacher. In 2014, she graduated from the University of South Carolina Honors College with a Bachelor of Music in Music Composition. Then, received her Master of Arts in Arts and Cultural Management in 2019 from King’s College. Miss Oliphant is the Development and Community Relations Coordinator at Koger Center for the Arts.
5. Jay Quantz: Mr. Quantz attended Hammond until the ninth grade when he transferred to Woodberry Forest. He is a Hammond parent to Sybil ’28. He is a graduate of Presbyterian College and the Portfolio Center in Atlanta. Mr. Quantz is a Commercial/Advertising Photographer and owns James Quantz Jr. Photography.
Moderator: Kathryn Daniels ’11 is one of Hammond School's College Counselors. After graduating from Hammond in 2011, Kathryn attended Vanderbilt University where she majored in English and Sociology. She then earned a Master’s Degree in Higher Education Student Affairs from the University of South Carolina. After working for several college admissions offices, she was thrilled to return to Hammond in March 2019 and has been working in College Counseling ever since.
1. Dr. Edward Crosswell ’01: Dr. Crosswell is a 2001 Hammond graduate. He received his B.A. from Wofford College and his M.D. from the Medical University of South Carolina where he also completed his General Surgery Internship and Ophthalmology Residency. In addition, he completed an Oculoplastic Surgery Fellowship at the University of South Florida. Dr. Crosswell is an Ophthalmologist with Columbia Eye Clinic focusing on Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Comprehensive Ophthalmology and Cataract Surgery.
2. Allie Dodd ’00: Mrs. Dodd is a 2000, 12-year Hammond graduate and the most recent award recipient of our 2020 Young Alumni Award. She is a board-certified Critical Care Registered Nurse at Lexington Medical Center Intensive Care Unit. Mrs. Dodd attended the University of South Carolina where she double majored in Political Science and Business Administration. She then graduated with a degree in nursing from Midlands Technical College in 2006.
3. Dr. Emily Evans ’91. Dr. Evans is a 1991, 12-year Hammond graduate. She is the parent of Emma ’27 and Lizzy ’30. Dr. Evans graduated from the University of South Carolina in 1995 with a B.A. in Newspaper Writing. She then graduated from USC again with a Biology degree and earned her final degree from the University of Georgia School of Veterinary Medicine in 2007. Dr. Evans is a Veterinarian at Well Pets Veterinary Clinic in Irmo, SC.
4. Debra Layer: Mrs. Layer is a former Skyhawk parent to Eric ’06 (deceased) and Michael ’13. She graduated with her Bachelor of Science in Nursing from St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and furthered her education at the University of South Carolina and earned her Nurse Practitioner Masters. From there, she was a Nurse Practitioner at the V.A for 42 years.
5. Jen Lutterbie: Mrs. Lutterbie is married to Mr. Lutterbie, Upper School Chemistry teacher, and they are the parents of current Skyhawks, Amelia ’32 and Rachel ’35. Mrs. Lutterbie graduated from Miami University in Ohio with a B.S. in Speech Pathology, followed by graduate school at the University of Virginia for a Master’s in Communication Sciences & Disorders in 2010. She is the Clinical Director and Speech-Language Pathologist at Team Therapy, a pediatric outpatient therapy clinic that provides speech, occupational, and physical therapies.
6. Dr. Mitesh Patel: Dr. Patel is a current Hammond parent of twin boys, Aadi ’29 and Advay ‘29 in the Lower School. He attended Medical School in Bangalore, India and studied Internal Medicine at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Anesthesiology at University of Missouri, Columbia, and Interventional Pain at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Dr. Patel is Chief of the Pain Clinic at Columbia VA Health Care and specializes in interventional pain, internal medicine, and anesthesiology.
7. Dr. Shilpa Patel: Dr. Patel is a proud parent to Aadi ’29 and Advay ‘29. She graduated from Medical School in Bangalore, India and continued her education at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign for Residency- Internal Medicine, the University of Missouri, Columbia for Fellowship- Pulmonary and Critical care medicine, and the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor for Fellowship- Sleep Medicine. Dr. Patel is the Board Certified Pulmonary and Critical Care and Sleep Medicine Physician at Dorn VA Medical Center in Columbia, SC.
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)
Moderator: Evin Moore’14. Mrs. Moore is the 8th grade science teacher and a volleyball coach here at Hammond School. After graduating from Hammond in 2014, she earned her degree from Furman University in 2018 with a B.S. in Biology and minor in Science Education. Mrs. Moore then returned to Hammond to start her career in education.
1. James Ash ’07: Mr. Ash graduated from Hammond in 2007. He received his Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from Clemson University in 2012 and was an active member of NSBE. Mr. Ash began interning with Schneider Electric in 2011 and began working full time upon graduation. He is an Application Engineer and designs and builds power electrical structures for commercial purposes.
2. Robert Burnside ‘15: Mr. Burnside graduated from Hammond in 2015 as a thirteen-year senior. From there, he attended Clemson University and graduated with a B.S. in Marketing and maintained a 3.56 GPA. He is completing his Master of Science in Sports and Entertainment Management and plans to graduate in August 2021 with a 4.0 GPA. While at Clemson University, Mr. Burnside worked on the video staff for the Clemson Football team. He was also the Esports Club President.
3. Caleb Gaston: Mr. Gaston graduated from Clemson University in 2008 with a B.S. in Wildlife and Fisheries Biology. He then earned his M.S. in Biological Science from the University of Mississippi in 2011. He is a Biologist at Dominion Energy South Carolina.
4. Tripp Riley: Mr. Riley is the husband of Mrs. Riley and parent of Skyhawks Arman ‘22 and Nathan ‘24. He graduated from Clemson University in 1997 with a Bachelor of Science in Design and had the opportunity to study abroad at the University of Strathclyde in Scotland in 1996. Mr. Riley furthered his education at the Georgia Institute of Technology and earned his Master of Architecture in 2000. He is the Owner, Vice President, and Architect at Studio 2LR in Columbia.
5. Greg Schuch: Mr. Schuch is the husband of Middle School teacher, Mrs. Schuch, and parent to Stella ‘26 and Heath ‘28. Mr. Schuch studied at the University of South Carolina and graduated with his B.S. in Civil Engineering in 1997. He is the Associate Vice President and Senior Project Manager at HDR Engineering, Inc.