For most families, investing in an independent school education requires careful planning. Hammond’s financial aid program is designed to help the school enroll a talented, bright, socially and economically diverse group of students who might otherwise not be able to attend Hammond. For the 2016-2017 school year, Hammond provided over $1.4 million in financial aid to qualifying families. Financial aid is granted to families on the basis of demonstrated need through the use of School and Student Service for Financial Aid (SSS). SSS is used by more than 2,400 PK-12 schools and organizations throughout the U.S. to help assess a family’s ability to pay for independent education. In using SSS, Hammond follows the Principles of Good Practice outlined by the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS):
• Financial aid awards will be made without regard to race, nationality, or ethnic origin.
• Financial aid will be determined on the basis of demonstrated need.
• Families must submit annually the financial statement by SSS.
• The financial aid process is 100% confidential.
Financial Aid Process
Families who feel they will or might need financial assistance to help cover the cost of Hammond are encouraged to indicate so on the application for admission. The school will make available to all such families a Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) for submission to School and Student Services for Financial Aid (SSS). Hammond's SSS code is 3677.
• Beginning in December, PFS information is mailed to returning families currently receiving aid, applicants who have indicated a request for financial aid on their application for admission, and others upon request.
• Parents are to complete the PFS online at http://sss.nais.org/parents (We encourage all returning Hammond families to complete this process and provide all supporting documentation by March 15, 2017).
• Provide Hammond with a 2016 Federal Tax Return with all Schedules or a 2015 Federal Tax Return with all Schedules and all 2016 W-2s and 1099s.
• Families will be notified in early April.
Every financial aid award is made for one year and will be reviewed annually. Each year, and for each child, parents must submit the necessary forms to School and Student Services for Financial Aid (SSS). While significant changes in a family’s financial circumstances can impact the Report of Family Contribution (RFC), the Financial Aid Committee’s goal is to maintain funding at proportionate levels over a student’s year of enrollment. All applicants are carefully reviewed on an individual basis. Hammond will examine necessary expenses and money spent for lifestyle choices to ensure, to the best of our ability, that financial aid awards are not subsiding “lifestyle” expenditures that could have been directed toward a child’s education. The Committee is also empowered to increase or reduce the amount of the annual award based on the student’s overall performance at Hammond.
An application for financial aid is considered only after the student has been admitted to Hammond. Applicants accepted for admission and qualifying for need-based financial aid outnumber those whom we can afford to support; therefore, some students will be accepted to Hammond but not awarded financial aid for the academic school year. (Funds are not reserved for families whose PFS or tax forms are received after the March 15 deadline.) Consideration for financial aid is given in the following order:
• Applications from current financial aid recipients who have completed all financial aid forms by the deadline
• New applications from currently enrolled families, if completed by the deadline
• New applications from candidates accepted by the Admission Committee for enrollment
• Applications completed after the specified deadlines, as long as funds remain available Confidentiality All information relating to the financial aid application process is held in the strictest confidence. The only individuals with access to financial aid files are members of the Financial Aid Committee.
For any specific questions, please call the Admission Office at 803-776-0295.